I want to TEFL in China with a AA Degree and a TEFL Certificate- can I do that without a BA?

I want to TEFL in China with a AA Degree and a TEFL Certificate- can I do that without a BA? Topic: China research for students
July 16, 2019 / By Hilary
Question: I want to Teach English in China this fall. I have my AA degree and a TEFL Certificate, but I want to know if I will be able to find a good job teaching English in China or if I am going to be stuck teaching at some small school on the Kyrgyzstan border with no support infrastructure. I am a native English speaker, and can 说一点(儿)汉语, and am 22. I plan to finish up a BA in east Asian studies when i get back, however I want to teach in China first. If anyone can be of help telling me what I need to do to be eligible, or if they know of anyone who will be hiring for the fall semester, please let me know! you can reach me at [email protected]!
Best Answer

Best Answers: I want to TEFL in China with a AA Degree and a TEFL Certificate- can I do that without a BA?

Eavan Eavan | 8 days ago
Legally you need at least a bachelors degree to get authorization from the Chinese government to become an English teacher. An Associates will NOT be accepted. But, if you know anything about China, you will know that the letter of the law is not always followed depending on the relationship of the schools owner and the Waishiban's (Provincial Foreign Affairs Office) leader. However, it will be very easy for you to work illegally for an illegal school on a tourists visa. Of course, the danger is that if you get caught (or your school decides to turn you in) then you will bear the full penalty by yourself. Oh, and also, new rules say that the "Foreign teacher" has to be outside China when the invitation is extended by the authorized school in order to get the right working visa. Best way to get a job teaching English in China is to do your research: use the many TESL/TEFL/ESL websites that list jobs and teachers experiences. Another way around it is to study Chinese (getting a student visa) and work on the side. Good Luck.
👍 284 | 👎 8
Did you like the answer? I want to TEFL in China with a AA Degree and a TEFL Certificate- can I do that without a BA? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: China research for students

Eavan Originally Answered: Teaching English in China? TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA?
TEFL is definitely better than CELTA but it's a toss up between that and TESOL - that depends on the school. Your complete lack of other experience and relative immaturity (that's not a slam - some companies simply don't trust 18 year olds) aren't going to prevent you from getting a position but you'll likely have to beat the streets a bit. That means GOING to China and finding a position once there. It seems riskier but is actually one of the better ways to prove you're willing to be there. There are plenty of risks though and many language schools that are pretty fly-by-night. That said, China is absolutely soaking up English speaking teachers now. Even at the high end (licensed teachers from the US, UK, Canada) China can't seem to get enough. As for your timeline... don't get your hopes up. Contracts of less than a year are basically unheard of. The amount of screwing around to get a working visa is far greater than getting a tourist visa - that one is easy, but employers go through time and money making you "work legal" and they prefer two year contracts for their trouble. I really don't like the idea of recommending a sending agency but AEON and GEOS are two businesses that will get you there... will interview you here and basically qualify you as "teaching" although you're really doing more salesperson-esque recruiting and have as many "business hours" as working hours. Still... at your age. What have you got to loose? Worse case scenario... you never go to University and end up like too many loser expats that never really did anything but feel special for going overseas. Or you can stick to a one-year plan, polish your Mandarin, go back to school and get a related degree that sets you up to teach any Mandarin or English anywhere both are spoken. You know you better than anyone... if you're level headed and disciplined - GO FOR IT. If you're thinking about sex and partying and bragging about it when you get home - stay home. The world has too many "ugly Americans" as it is.
Eavan Originally Answered: Teaching English in China? TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA?
I believe they require a bachelors degree, unless you are there as an intern for a summer program (still enrolled in college but pursuing a bachelor's degree). The TEFL alone does NOT allow you to teach English in China. You also need the proper Visa, of course. EDITED TO ADD: Your bachelors degree can be in anything, by the way- it does not have to be English. And the TEFL is not necessary at all.
Eavan Originally Answered: Teaching English in China? TEFL, TESOL, or CELTA?
Guess what guys? In 2014, just like 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 etc. YOU DO NOT NEED A TEFL, TESOL, NOR A CELTA CERTIFICATE TO TEACH IN CHINA! This is the biggest scam going round the internet that targets all the ESL teachers. Don't tale my word for it, visit http://ChinaForeignTeachersUnion.com, http://www.Scam.com, and http://wwwChinaScamBusters.com and read for yourself.

Chance Chance
Bad answer Bunky. In 2014 over 1,200 expat teachers got deported for working on a student or tourist visa. Stop listening to agents and recruiters and follow the law. Also read this so you know why all those "friendly" and "helpful" recruiters make it all sound so easy... http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=107979 http://open.salon.com/blog/china_business_central/2013/03/13/phony_china_recruiters_now_target_5000_expats_monthly_1 http://www.chinascambusters.com
👍 120 | 👎 2

Chance Originally Answered: Can anyone tell me about teaching GAC. Global assessment English in China. I am a TEFL Teacher?
According to the ACT website, "The GAC is a university preparation program that provides students with the academic knowledge, independent learning skills, English language skills and confidence to enter and successfully complete a bachelor’s degree at university. " That is, the program should be similar to that of Intensive English Programs offered by many universities for students who want to develop sufficient English to study in a university. That's quite different from what you've been doing. It means you would be teaching reading and writing, and at a much higher academic level. Students are going to need advanced grammar such as conditionals and passive verbs. They will need instruction in writing essays, including organizational patterns and strategies for cohesion. In any reputable program, you would have papers to grade and feedback to give on assignments. But in any responsible program, you would NOT have 2000 students. This sounds like a real scam to get students to pay, and then give them very little for their money. Just to contract in intensive programs in the States, teachers typically have classes of 15-20 students. They might have 4 classes a day, so that they meet with a total of 60-80 students a week. They would be able to organize small group work in the classes and be able to monitor 4 or 5 groups while working in class. They would give feedback on at least one writing assignment a week, and check other homework assignments. You would NOT be able to do that with 2000 students. No program that had teachers responsible for more than 100-150 students a week would ever be accredited.

If you have your own answer to the question china research for students, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.