What to Expect in Court for Shoplifting?

What to Expect in Court for Shoplifting? Topic: How to write a case citation
July 22, 2019 / By Gypsy
Question: Please do not answer with lectures or in a disrespectful manner. I already realize I messed up bad. I am 18 and this is my first offense ever. I'm not a trouble maker, but I did make a very stupid mistake. I recently received a citation for shoplifting out of a Food Lion Store. I took some things, but I also bought some things while I was in the store. I was outside the store and about to start through the parking lot when the loss prevention guy came out and told me he needed me to come back inside the store. In all the stolen goods came up to about $28 dollars. The loss prevention guy told me he would not press for jail time. I was extremely cooperative. When the officer arrived I was written and handed a citation. The loss prevention man nor the police officer said anything about me having to go to court, but when I read the citation there was a court date. I have no idea how any of this works, but I know I can not afford a lawyer. I do not wish to have a criminal record and would like to look into any other options available. I want to know what to expect and what can I do to make this better. Please help me
Best Answer

Best Answers: What to Expect in Court for Shoplifting?

Dix Dix | 5 days ago
Youll be fine ! Dont worry First offence and 28 bucks worth is not worthy of a record even any reasonable judge will understand that ! Just plead your case to him tell him your sorry and ask not to be prosecuted or to be given a record youll probably recieve a caution and community service :) youll be fine
👍 178 | 👎 5
Did you like the answer? What to Expect in Court for Shoplifting? Share with your friends

We found more questions related to the topic: How to write a case citation

Dix Originally Answered: Small Claims Court System.When you take someone to court and win your judgment how do you get your money?
Judgments are not self collecting. Often the collection is more difficult, expensive & time consuming than obtaining the judgment itself. Simplest: Come to an agreement with debtor on payment. Next: Judgment Lien Recording. Record a certified copy of the judgment to create a "lien" against any real property the debtor may own. This will prevent the debtor from selling or re-financing his property without first paying your judgment. Requirements for recording judgment liens varies widely by jurisdiction. Debtor Examination: Some courts allow you to compel judgment debtors to answer your questions about their property, debts and earnings. Depending on jurisdiction this may be by written interrogatories or even a deposition before a court reporter. Ask the court clerk what procedures are available in your court. Writ of Attachment or Execution on Debtor’s assets. If you can locate and identify physical assets of the debtor you can ask the court for a written order to the sheriff to seize them for a Clark’s or Sheriff’s sale to pay the judgment. This order - called a "writ of attachment" or "writ of execution" - must be served on the debtor with a description of the property to be seized. You will have to deposit the costs of seizure, storage, sale, publication of notice of the sale, and possibly a bond to protect the sheriff's office from being sued in the event the property actually belongs to someone other than the debtor. You will also have to pay the storage charges while the court advertises the sale. These costs can be added to the total amount of the judgment and taken out of the money received from the sale of the property. Before you undertake these expenses check the Sheriff’s records to determine there are no other judgment liens that must be satisfied ahead of yours and check vehicle titles and the public records for liens against other property to avoid seizing something which the debtor doesn’t own or against which there are other liens. If the judgment debtor owns real estate, the Sheriff can execute against that, but the rules are even more complicated. You'll need to do a title search to determine if there are any mortgages on the property or any other judgment liens recorded against the same defendant which may have priority to yours. There may be back taxes due on the property. The property may be jointly owned with others. In many states the debtor’s home is exempt from such execution. Consulting a lawyer is definitely advised. Writ of Garnishment. You can also seek to have the court order anyone who holds funds for a judgment debtor, withhold them & pay them to you. This is called a Writ of Garnishment. It can be directed to a bank or the debtor’s employer or anyone else who owes them money. The request for the writ must be served on the judgment debtor and the writ itself must be served directly on the involved bank employer or entity that owes the debtor money. There may be special charges that must be deposited with the court to obtain a writ of garnishment Bank garnishments are sometimes called a "levy" on the bank account. Certain bank accounts, such as those held jointly with someone who is not a judgment debtor, are "exempt" from garnishment. There are special rules involving wage garnishment. You can ask the court to order the debtor's employer to withhold a portion of the debtor's wages from his earnings each pay period to pay the judgment. The law limits the amount of money an employer can withhold and the type of income that can be withheld, and in some states all such wages are exempt. Driver Licensing Notification . If your judgment resulted from a motor vehicle accident, some states will suspend the judgment debtor’s license until it is paid. Generally this involves filing a copy of the judgment with the state driver’s licensing authority together with an affidavit of non-payment. Call the state licensing authority for the requirements. Bankruptcy. If you are notified in any manner that the judgment debtor has filed a bankruptcy petition federal law prohibits you from making any further efforts to collect on the judgment. . If you try to collect the judgment under those circumstances, you can be held in contempt by the federal bankruptcy court and may suffer severe penalties. All further collection efforts must then be made through the bankruptcy court. Contact the bankruptcy court to obtain necessary forms and informationSatisfaction of Judgment. Once the judgment and costs of collecting the judgment are paid, you'll need to file a "Satisfaction of Judgment" with the court so that the judgment is no longer officially outstanding and the judgment debtor's credit record can be cleared.

Carla Carla
It depends on where you live.If your in the US they will give you a court apointed lawyer if you can't afford one.If you live in Canada,the UK or another country the laws there are unfimiliar to me.It doesnt help that your 18 and not 17.When I was 17 I got caught shoplifting and put in a program and had my record sealed.Hopefully the judge could make some kind of deal in exchange for community service.Ask him so you can have it sealed and it won't follow you around the rest of your life.Good luck with this tough situation your in.
👍 70 | 👎 -1

Andrea Andrea
In Canada you could expect 40 hours community service and six months probation or a $500 fine to the courts. In the USA it seems like the Federal Reserve Bank has stollen 15 trillion dollars since 2008 and Ben Bernenkie is still wearing his cat that caught the bird grinn, so maybe they will take it easy on you unless your crime is not stealing big enough.
👍 66 | 👎 -7

Westley Westley
Sears corporation probably gave you what is talked approximately as a civil call for. rather they are suing you for the time that their Loss Prevention brokers had to spend handling you, in spite of product you stole (which will for sure be greater in the event that they are broken). then you definately will bypass to courtroom and prefer somebody else mentioned, in case you're over 18 you will get probation and community service. you will no longer do detention center time for a frequently happening petty theft. in case you're in California a 0.33 petty theft (CA computer 484a) offense turns right into a criminal (CA computer 666).
👍 62 | 👎 -13

Westley Originally Answered: Do they have a shoplifting case against me?
If they stopped you in the parking lot with unpaid merchandise, they would have a case. However, if you returned the item and offered to have it scanned, there is no intent and they have no case.

If you have your own answer to the question how to write a case citation, then you can write your own version, using the form below for an extended answer.